Rope and Toggle Vs. Grommets - Which is Better?
Which Finishing Should I Get for My Flag?
You might be wondering what type of finishing is best for your new flag. Should you get a flag with rope and toggle or one with grommets? What are the pros and cons for each? What other types of finishings are there and which one is right for you? We hope the below is helpful
Rope and Toggle
- Rope and toggle is the flag standard for flags in Canada and the United Kingdom.
Pros of Rope and Toggle:
- Rope and toggle doesn’t require the purchase of any extra accessories, it attaches directly to the halyard
- Spreads wind force over the entire flag height instead of just at the two points where the grommets would be.
- Esthetically looks nicer and keeps with tradition
Cons of Rope and Toggle:
- Even though the wind force is spread over the entire header of the flag, your real enemy is wind and sun. Having a rope and toggle doesn’t necessarily mean you will get longevity out of the flag
- Grommets are the American Standard for mounting flags.
- They are two or more brass eyelets that are sewn into the header at the top left and corner and the bottom left hand corner of the flag
- Flags with grommets are easy to set up, using plastic or metal flag snaps to attach the flag to the halyard
- Just as secure as a rope and toggle finishing
- Sometimes the wind can cause the flag to look like it is holding on by just the two points on the top and bottom of the flag and it doesn’t look as nice as a rope and toggle finish
Other Ways to Finish a Flag
Aside from offering rope and toggle and grommets as finishing options, FlagMart Canada can also custom finish your flag. We can add extra grommets or do a header with no finishing. Other common finishings include:
Casket Flag Finishing
Sewn all the way around with no header. Commonly ordered for funerals or memorials where the flag will never be flown. Also, common if you wish to display your flag in a shadow box for display.
Sleeve with Open Top
We can also create a sleeve on the header of the flag that allows a dowel to pass through it. You can use this to hang a flag as you would a curtain from a rod.
Sleeve with Top Closed
We can make the sleeve with the top of the sleeve sewn closed so you can insert a dowel into it and use it as a hand flag for parades, protests or as a large car flag.
From time to time, we get requests to do custom finishings, please let us know if you need a custom finishing done for your flag and we would be happy to accommodate.
We hope you found this helpful! Please do contact us for any questions or other finishings we offer. Email email@example.com or call 1-833-989-0313 to inquire.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Flag This Blog in Your Favourites!
You might be wondering whether the size of flag you buy really makes a difference. I mean, a pole is a pole? Does it really matter the size of flag that goes on it? The answer is Yes, Size DOES Matter!
Follow our sizing guide below to give you a sense of the size of flag that would be perfect for your pole.